It seems everyone has new puppies, so I thought I would spend my few free moments working on some quirky little dogs. It’s been a busy week and not much time to write or do artwork.

It’s really easy to let things go and say, “I’ll make something tomorrow”. I have to push myself to use the 30 minutes here or there instead of waiting for a big chunk of time. You can get a lot accomplished in just 30 minutes!

I made some blobby watercolor dogs, about 10 in total. Here is one that I thought was cute.


I used my water soluble black brush marker and then added water with a paintbrush. The first few I tried turned out too dark as I was too heavy with the water. Eventually after about 10 or so, I ended with a few that I liked.


Everyone is happy to see a puppy right? As long as you can give it back to it’s owner when you are done playing šŸ™‚


This last one is my favorite! I might make this one into a print.





Mandala + Mosaic = Magic

This was the largest, most complex mosaic I’d ever attemtpedĀ and took me over a year to complete.

My mother and I made an awesome find at Goodwill. A round mirror from a very old dresser. As soon as I saw it I knew I HAD to have it. It cost $10! I’ve since seen a few more but the asking price was much higher. I am now on the lookout for another mirror. (you’ll soon find out why)


My idea was to have overlapping circles and fill in the background with tempered glass.

The hardest part in developing my pattern was that I wanted the overlaps to be a different color than the circles, and of course all the touching colors had to be different. This mirror took quite a bit of brain power and planning.Ā It was quite challenging and at times I ran outĀ desire to work on it, so it would sit on my livingroom floor as a constant reminder that it needed to be finished.


I drew out my circles and design on paper first to work out the composition and transferred the circle outlines to the mirror. The only mistake I made was using a red sharpie. I should have used a black or brown. I was worried the red marker would somehow be visible after grouting. I spent a considerable amount of time with nail polish remover and qtips removing all the red lines from between the pieces of glued glass.


This project took up most of my livingroom floor.


Close up of the overlaps.

My other goal in making this piece, was for each of the circles to consist of different kinds of shapes. Some were random shapes, some circles had long slivers and others were triangles.


All grouted and ready to clean.

All cleaned and ready to go!


I am glad I got this picture of the completed project because about 30 minutes later it fell on the floor and broke into pieces. It was my fault, I bumped it and knocked it over. I should have put it back down on the floor….I shouldn’t have been so stupid….augh, what was I thinking…..eh

I tried not to cry, but I have to admit I did.

I want to do this project again, I learned a lot on the first round and I think I could get it finished a lot quicker. I don’t often keep any of the things I make, but this piece was mine and I had intended on hanging in the kitchen.

So now comes the task of finding another mirror to start the project all over again. It’s been two years since it broke and I think I am ready to tackle this again.

Glass on Glass

Spent a little time last night gluing glass. There are 15 rectangles in the door. I finished two last night and one this morning. I have the sniffles and meant to sleep in but Erik thought I forgot to set my alarm and was nice enough to wake me up at 5:30am. So since I couldn’t go back to sleep I made the best of the morning.


I use a special glue for glass on glass mosaics. It is called MAC Glue. When I posted my pic to Instagram and saw the hashtag already existed, I was excited. Cool I thought, I can look through some nice artwork and see what other people are making, well #macglue is also a product for gluing on eyelashes!


Only 12 more rectangles (6ish hours) to go and then it will be time to grout!

New Mosaic Project

Started a new mosaic project last night. Usually I do old windows and doors and they are just for decoration, but this time it is a real functioning door! This is going to be a fun project and look really sharp when it is returned to the owner’s house.


Cutting glass and spreading out the colors.

Needless to say I feel a little pressure to get this done quickly, as the door keeps the dogs and cat in their special room while their adults are out of the house.


My friend Linda is helping to cut glass, she recently learned how to do glass mosaic and I thought this would be good practice for her. (plus some extra help for me!)

We still have a little more glass to cut (the fast part) and then we need to start placing the pieces before we glue them.


The time consuming part of arranging everything just so.

Some New Canvases!

Working on some canvases this week. These two are finished, so I thought I would give you a little peek. I have a few in aqua of different sizes that are all painted and waiting for me to draw on them.

These are fun to make because of all the layers. First, there are two base coats, after these dry I drizzle paint around in swirls. These take quite awhile to dry.


The third layer is ink. I drop it on and then spray with some water and let it move around on the canvas. Then more drying time.


The fourth layer is some matte medium to keep the colors froms lifting if I erase or use some water to erase a mistake.


And the last layer is my lovely Uni Posca Black paint marker. Here is the whole piece. It is 18 x 6.


I also finished this pink one.


I use blue and purple ink on top of the pink paint. I got the paint at Lowe’s for $2. The picture came out a little light a tthe top, it is a dark pink throughout on the background.